- 1 cup (280g) greek-style yoghurt or homemade yoghurt
- 1 25cm piece cheesecloth or muslin (see notes)
- 1Place a sieve over a small bowl. Line with muslin; spoon yoghurt into muslin, gather into a ball, secure with string or an elastic band. Refrigerate for 24 hours or until thickened. Transfer labne to a small airtight container; label and date. The leftover whey has many uses.
- 2Stir ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika and 1½ tablespoons mild harissa into ½ cup labne.
- 3Stir 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind, a pinch of salt, ½ teaspoon honey and 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh mint into ½ cup labne.
- 4Coarsely grate 1 lebanese cucumber; squeeze the excess juice from the grated flesh. Combine flesh with ½ cup labne, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ small crushed garlic clove and 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Stir 1½ tablespoons honey, ½ teaspoon orange blossom water, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom into ½ cup labne.
- 6Mash 125g (4 ounces) ripe strawberries with ½ teaspoon rosewater, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar. Fold through ½ cup labne.
- 7Sieve juice from 2 passionfruit, reserve 1 teaspoon seeds. Stir juice and reserved seeds into ½ cup labne with 1 teaspoon finely grated mandarin rind and 1 tablespoon honey.
You need a 25cm piece of cheesecloth for this recipe; it is available from fabric stores and some kitchenware shops. Labne can be drained for longer than 24 hours, in fact, 48 hours is better; the longer it is drained the firmer it will become.Keeps for up to 10 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021