- 1 1kg beef short ribs, cut into 4cm x 3cm rib pieces (see tips)
- 1 medium onion (150g), quartered
- 1 medium nashi pear (200g), quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce
- ⅓ cup (120g) honey
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (korean chilli paste) (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
- 350 gram daikon, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium carrot (120g), julienned
- ½ bunch green onions (200g), sliced thinly lengthways
- 8 large bao buns, to serve
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- coriander leaves, to serve
- 1Soak beef ribs in cold water for 1 hour; drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, place onion, pear and garlic in mixing bowl; blend for 10 sec/speed 6 until a chunky puree. Scrape down the side of bowl. Add ½ cup (125g) water, soy sauce, honey, gochujang, sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar; cook for 5 min/steam mode/speed 2 or until simmering.
- 3Drain ribs and add to mixing bowl with daikon; cook for 120 min/100°C/reverse/stir mode or until meat falls off the bone and can be shredded with a fork.
- 4Strain mixture, reserving both solids and liquid; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks. Return liquid to mixing bowl; cook for 15 min/steam mode/speed 3, without measuring cup inserted into lid, or until reduced by half. Add enough of the sauce to shredded meat mixture to bind.
- 5Combine remaining vinegar, the carrot and green onion in a small bowl; season.
- 6Serve beef mixture with warm bao buns (see tips) and carrot mixture, scattered with sesame seeds and coriander leaves, drizzled with the remaining sauce.
Ask your butcher to cut the ribs crossways through the bone into shorter pieces, to make it easier to fit them into the mixing bowl.Gochujang is a spicy, savoury and sweet fermented chilli paste that adds a real depth of flavour to this dish. It is available in Asian grocery stores and some supermarkets.You can heat the bao buns in the steaming dish while the sauce is reducing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut jam dropsToday 12:49am
- Corn and quinoa chowderYesterday 10:28pm
- Gluten free chickpea schnitzels and yoghurt sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mexican pulled porkYesterday 2:00pm
- Provencal beef stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 sensational slow-cooked pork mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken saltimboccaYesterday 6:43am
- Healthy soup recipesYesterday 6:23am
- Slow-cooker honey mustard chickenYesterday 5:25am
- One-pot rice and chickenYesterday 4:29am
- Yoghurt wraps with pick-your-protein scrambleMay 16, 2022
- Quattro formaggio pizzaMay 16, 2022
- Chilli beans with tomato sauceMay 16, 2022
- Chinese honey chickenMay 16, 2022