- 1 kilogram cleaned squid hoods
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sake
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 centimetre piece fresh ginger (15g), grated finely
- 2 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoon soya bean and chilli paste
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 10 centimetre stalk fresh lemon grass (20g), white part only, chopped finely
- 1 medium green pear (230g), grated coarsely
- 4 3cm thin strips orange rind
- 2 fresh long red chillies, seeded, sliced thinly
- 2 medium lemons (280g), cut into wedges
- 1Halve squid hoods lengthways. Using a sharp knife, score inside in a criss-cross pattern at 5mm intervals. Cut into 4cm x 8cm pieces.
- 2Place sugar, sake, sauce, garlic, ginger, both pastes, oil, vinegar, lemon grass, pear and rind in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Add squid, season; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- 3Preheat a lightly oiled grill pan (or barbecue) on high heat. Drain squid; reserve marinade. Thread squid pieces onto skewers in an ‘S’-shape. Cook skewers, in batches, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved marinade, for 5 minutes or until cooked through and charred lightly.
- 4Place skewers on a large platter; sprinkle over chilli, accompany with lemon wedges.
Soak bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes before using to prevent burning when cooking. The pear in this recipe acts as a tenderiser, the longer the squid marinates the more tender it will become. Squid can be marinated a day ahead; store, covered, in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupYesterday 1:00pm
- Fresh tomato pizzettasYesterday 1:00pm
- 30 sweet slice recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeJan 19, 2022