- 2 packets butter cake mix
- 1 quantity store-bought chocolate Vienna cream (buttercream)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 large red sweets for eyes
- 2 small chocolate sweets for pupils
- 1 liquorice strap for claws and eyelashes
- 1 chocolate Monte biscuit for nose
- candy spearmint leaves
- 1Make cakes according to directions on packet, divide between greased deep 23cm (9in) square cake tin and two deep 18cm (7in) round cake tins, or sandwich tins, so that mixture is same depth in each tin, bake in moderate oven 40 minutes for square tin, 30 minutes for round tins or until cooked when tested. Turn cakes on to wire racks to cool.
- 2Leave one round cake whole for the head, cut other round cake in half horizontally; using a 12cm (5in) round cutter, cut each half into smaller rounds for ears. Cut square cake to make body and paws. Assemble pieces to form koala. Ice top and sides of cake with Vienna cream.
- 3Mix together cocoa and hot water, add three quarters cocoa mixture to 2 cups coconut to tint it dark brown, add remaining quarter cocoa mixture to remaining cup coconut to tint it light brown. Press light-coloured coconut on centre of ears, front of body, under arms and at tops of legs. Press darker coconut over rest of body.
- 4Press on large round sweets then small round sweets to represent eyes; licorice cut to shape represents eyelashes and claws, chocolate biscuit represents nose. Arrange mint leaves around koala to represent tree.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019