- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 600 grams chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups (300g) potato flour
- 1/3 cup (100g) Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (optional)
- 1Place ginger, garlic, tamari, mirin and sesame oil in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Add chicken; turn to coat in marinade. Cover; refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- 2Heat oil for deep-frying in a deep heavy-based frying pan to 170°C.
- 3Place potato flour in a shallow bowl. Drain chicken well; discard excess marinade. Add chicken pieces, in batches, to flour; toss to coat, shaking off excess.
- 4Cook chicken, in batches, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside and chicken is cooked through. Drain on paper towel. Increase oil to 180°C. Cook in batches a second time for 1 minute.
- 5Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl. Serve chicken karaage with Sriracha mayonnaise.
- Use your favourite mayonnaise instead of japanese mayonnaise, if preferred. Alternatively, instead of making sriracha mayonnaise, serve with your favourite purchased aÏoli.
- Karaage chicken and sriracha mayo can be made the night before.
- Pack cooled chicken and sriracha mayonnaise in separate airtight containers. Transport in cooler bags.Refrigerate until ready to take. You can eat the chicken cold or reheat it in a microwave, if preferred.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021