- 1 medium blood orange (240g)
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 250 gram (8 ounces) kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hulled tahini
- 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water, approximately
- 1Finely grate rind from orange; reserve 1 teaspoon for the dressing. Segment orange by peeling rind thickly from orange so no white pith remains. Cut between membranes, over a bowl to catch juice, releasing segments into another bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes; you will need 2 tablespoons juice for the dressing.
- 2Make orange and tahini dressing; whisk tahini with reserved rind and juice in a small bowl. Gradually add enough of the water until dressing becomes a pouring consistency; whisk until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Place seeds in a small frying pan; stir seeds continuously over medium heat for 2 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 4Remove stems from kale; shred kale finely. Place kale in a large bowl with oil; rub oil into kale until leaves begin to soften.
- 5Add chickpeas, orange segments and dressing to kale; toss gently to combine. Serve sprinkled with toasted seeds. Season.
The iron in plant foods like kale is not as well absorbed as that in meat, but eaten with vitamin C-rich foods like citrus, the uptake is increased. The orange and tahini dressing can be made 2 hours ahead but will thicken on standing; whisk in a little extra cold water or orange juice before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsNov 25, 2021
- Fresh apricot jamNov 25, 2021
- Honey and orange glazed hamNov 25, 2021
- 35 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit yoghurt cupcakesNov 25, 2021
- Bear clawsNov 25, 2021
- Five ingredient beef tacosNov 25, 2021
- Fruit mince swirl piesNov 25, 2021
- 20 beautiful biscotti recipesNov 25, 2021
- Passionfruit and lemon butterNov 25, 2021
- Tandoori chicken with cucumber saladNov 25, 2021
- SkordaliaNov 25, 2021
- Seafood chowderNov 25, 2021
- Pistachio and cranberry biscottiNov 25, 2021
- How to make pork laksa with five ingredientsNov 25, 2021