- 1 medium blood orange (240g)
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 250 gram (8 ounces) kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hulled tahini
- 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water, approximately
- 1Finely grate rind from orange; reserve 1 teaspoon for the dressing. Segment orange by peeling rind thickly from orange so no white pith remains. Cut between membranes, over a bowl to catch juice, releasing segments into another bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes; you will need 2 tablespoons juice for the dressing.
- 2Make orange and tahini dressing; whisk tahini with reserved rind and juice in a small bowl. Gradually add enough of the water until dressing becomes a pouring consistency; whisk until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Place seeds in a small frying pan; stir seeds continuously over medium heat for 2 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 4Remove stems from kale; shred kale finely. Place kale in a large bowl with oil; rub oil into kale until leaves begin to soften.
- 5Add chickpeas, orange segments and dressing to kale; toss gently to combine. Serve sprinkled with toasted seeds. Season.
The iron in plant foods like kale is not as well absorbed as that in meat, but eaten with vitamin C-rich foods like citrus, the uptake is increased. The orange and tahini dressing can be made 2 hours ahead but will thicken on standing; whisk in a little extra cold water or orange juice before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020