- 3 x 340g packets buttercake mix
- 125 gram (4 ounces) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- green colouring
- 30 centimetre round prepared board
- icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- 1 kilogram ready-made soft icing
- 9 flakes
- 17 banana runts
- 10 pineapple lollies
- 8 gummy feet lollies
- 8 cool mints
- red glossy decorating gel
- assorted toy animals
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C; grease and line three deep 20cm-round cake pans. Make cake according to directions on packet, divide mixture among pans; bake about 40 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn onto wire racks to cool. Using serrated knife, level two cakes' tops so cakes are the same height.
- 2To make butter cream, beat the butter (and any flavouring, if using) in a small narrow bowl with an electric mixer until the butter is as white as possible (this will result in a whiter butter cream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then the milk, then the remaining icing sugar. Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 3Tint butter cream with green colouring; reserve ¾ of the butter cream.
- 4Place one trimmed cake on board, cut-side down; spread with ½ of the remaining butter cream, top with remaining trimmed cake, cut-side down. Spread with remaining butter cream; top with remaining cake, top-side up. Spread reserved butter cream all over cakes.
- 5Using paper pattern from pattern sheet, transpose leaf onto cardboard and cut out. On surface dusted with icing sugar, knead icing until smooth. Knead green colouring into ½ of the icing to make light green; enclose remaining icing in plastic wrap, reserve. Roll icing until 3mm thick. Using cardboard leaf template and sharp-pointed knife, cut leaves from icing; drape over wooden spoons to slightly curl as they dry.
- 6On surface dusted with icing sugar, knead green colouring into reserved icing to make dark green; roll until 3mm thick. Using same leaf template, cut leaves from icing; drape over wooden spoons to slightly curl as they dry.
- 7Position Flakes around side of cake; stack slightly overlapping leaves on top of cake, securing each leaf with a little butter cream. Position banana Runts and pineapples around side of cake; position gummy feet around base of cake. Position Cool Mints, in pairs, for eyes around side of cake. Using decorating gel, dot pupils on Cool Mints.
- 8Scatter assorted animals on and around cake.
Tip: It's best to make the leaves a few days ahead so that they thoroughly dry. You need approximately 4 x 50g packets of Runts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021