- 2 x 470g packets butter cake mix
- 1 quantity butter cream
- pink food colouring
- 22 blue smarties
- 2 red life savers
- 2 purple skittles
- 1 black licorice strap
- 1 ice-cream wafer
- 2 x 30cm chenille sticks (pipe cleaners)
Butter cream icing
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) above sides.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets. Pour half the mixture into square pan; divide remaining mixture evenly into round pans. Bake the square cake about 35 minutes and the round cakes about 25 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool. (Only one round cake is required for the elephant; the other can be frozen for later use.)
- 3Level tops of cakes; turn cakes cut-side down. Using pattern from pattern sheet, cut elephant's face and trunk from square cake. Cut ears from round cake, as pictured. Secure cake pieces, cut-side down, on cake board to form elephant; secure with a little butter cream. Discard any leftover cake pieces.
- 4Make butter cream icing. Tint butter cream pink; reserve ½ cup for inner ears. Tint remaining butter cream dark pink. Spread dark pink butter cream over elephant's head, trunk and outer ears; spread pale pink butter cream inside ears.
- 5Position 2 blue Smarties on end of trunk for nostrils; use remaining blue Smarties to outline ears. Position Life Savers and purple Skittles for eyes. Cut thin strips of licorice strip; position on cake for eyebrows, eyelashes and on trunk. Cut ice-cream wafer into long thin triangles, as pictured, to make tusks; make two slits in trunk, one on either side, insert tusks. Curl chenille sticks and position for hair.
Cut head and trunk from the square cake. Cut the ears from the round cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spaghetti bologneseYesterday 1:00pm
- Indian rice saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chunky fig and vanilla jamYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy food bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- CevicheYesterday 1:00pm
- Grilled mushrooms with soft-boiled dukkah eggs and crisp kaleYesterday 1:00pm
- Pancake recipesJan 22, 2021