Japanese pumpkin curry
- 1/4 medium jap pumpkin
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (225 grams) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (200 grams) medium grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 100 gram medium-hot japanese curry mix
- 2 1/2 cup (625 millilitres) water, extra
- 1 cup (150 grams) shelled edamame
- 1 teaspoon black or toasted white sesame seeds
Japanese pumpkin curry
- 1Cut pumpkin into four 2cm thick wedges. Remove seeds and skin. Steam pumpkin 10 minutes or until tender, turning halfway. Pat pumpkin pieces dry with absorbent paper.
- 2Toss pumpkin in flour; shake off excess. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat two of the eggs; dip pumpkin into egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking-paper-lined oven tray.
- 3In a medium saucepan, bring rice water and salt to the boil over high heat. Cover with a tight-fitting lid; cook over low heat 8 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- 4In a medium saucepan, meanwhile, heat half the oil over medium; cook onion, stirring, 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in curry mix and the extra water; cook 5 minutes. Stir in edamame; cook 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 5In a small saucepan, place remaining eggs and enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, stirring, to centre the yolks. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes for soft-boiled. Drain; rinse eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel eggs.
- 6In a large frying pan, heat remaining oil over medium; cook pumpkin 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- 7Fluff rice with a fork. Divide rice between serving bowls; spoon curry to the side. Top with pumpkin and torn eggs; sprinkle with seeds.
Both Japanese curry mix and frozen edamame (soy beans in the pod) are available from Asian supermarkets. You will need to shell about 300g (9½ ounces) frozen edamame in the pod for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021