Japanese pumpkin curry
- 1/4 medium jap pumpkin
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (225 grams) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (200 grams) medium grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 100 gram medium-hot japanese curry mix
- 2 1/2 cup (625 millilitres) water, extra
- 1 cup (150 grams) shelled edamame
- 1 teaspoon black or toasted white sesame seeds
Japanese pumpkin curry
- 1Cut pumpkin into four 2cm thick wedges. Remove seeds and skin. Steam pumpkin 10 minutes or until tender, turning halfway. Pat pumpkin pieces dry with absorbent paper.
- 2Toss pumpkin in flour; shake off excess. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat two of the eggs; dip pumpkin into egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking-paper-lined oven tray.
- 3In a medium saucepan, bring rice water and salt to the boil over high heat. Cover with a tight-fitting lid; cook over low heat 8 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- 4In a medium saucepan, meanwhile, heat half the oil over medium; cook onion, stirring, 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in curry mix and the extra water; cook 5 minutes. Stir in edamame; cook 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 5In a small saucepan, place remaining eggs and enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, stirring, to centre the yolks. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes for soft-boiled. Drain; rinse eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel eggs.
- 6In a large frying pan, heat remaining oil over medium; cook pumpkin 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- 7Fluff rice with a fork. Divide rice between serving bowls; spoon curry to the side. Top with pumpkin and torn eggs; sprinkle with seeds.
Both Japanese curry mix and frozen edamame (soy beans in the pod) are available from Asian supermarkets. You will need to shell about 300g (9½ ounces) frozen edamame in the pod for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeAug 13, 2020
- Lemon sand cakeAug 13, 2020
- Chocolate stout cakeAug 13, 2020
- Fruit spirals with white chocolate sauceAug 13, 2020
- Coconut & lemon curd cakeAug 13, 2020
- Delicious desserts with an easy biscuit crustAug 13, 2020
- Cherry, almond & brown butter cakeAug 13, 2020
- Chocolate, hazelnut & pear scrollsAug 13, 2020
- Easy loaf cake recipes for morning teaAug 12, 2020
- Our best Asian-inspired vegetarian recipesAug 12, 2020
- RatatouilleAug 12, 2020
- Sugar-free recipesAug 11, 2020
- Easy cheesecake slicesAug 11, 2020
- 20 traditional Australian recipesAug 11, 2020
- Dark and dreamy chocolate cakeAug 11, 2020