Basic biscuit dough
- 250 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 1 egg white, beaten until foamy
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
Jam sandwich biscuits
- 1/3 cup (110g) apricot conserve
- 1/3 cup (110g) raspberry jam
Jam sandwich biscuits
- 1Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- 2To make basic biscuit dough, use an electric beater to beat butter and vanilla essence until creamy. Reduce speed, add sifted icing sugar and continue to beat until pale and well combined.
- 3Sift in flour and mix to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead gently to form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out dough between two sheets of plastic wrap or baking paper until 3mm thick.
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut dough into 60 x 4-5cm rounds. Using a 1.5-2cm round biscuit cutter, cut a hole in centres of 30 biscuits. The cut-out dough can be rekneaded lightly and rolled out to make a few more biscuits, if desired.
- 5Place biscuits on prepared trays, allowing room for spreading. Brush with egg white and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly coloured. Cool completely on wire racks before storing in an airtight container. Just before serving, join biscuits in pairs, alternating 1 teaspoon of apricot conserve with raspberry jam.
Try using different cutters for interesting shapes, especially when you're cutting out the centre holes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019
- Gluten-free buckwheat waffles with golden syrupFeb 10, 2019
- How to cook burghulFeb 10, 2019
- Vegetable lasagneFeb 10, 2019