Italian chicken soup
- 1.5 kilogram whole chicken, skin removed
- 3 (650g) tomatoes
- 1 (150g) brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 (300g) stalks celery, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 (180g) carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 clove garlic, peeled, halved
- 6 black peppercorns
- 8 cup (2l) water
- 3/4 cup (155g) risoni pasta
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
Italian chicken soup
- 1Chop one tomato coarsely. Chop remaining tomatoes finely; refrigerate, covered, until required.
- 2Place chicken, coarsely chopped tomato, onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves, garlic, peppercorns and the in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook with lid on, on low, 8 hours.
- 3Carefully remove chicken from cooker. Strain broth through a fine sieve into a large heatproof bowl; discard solids. Skim and discard any fat from broth. Return broth to cooker; add risoni and finely chopped tomatoes. Cook on high, with lid on, for about 30 minutes or until risoni is tender.
- 4Meanwhile, when the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and shred coarsely. Discard bones.
- 5Add shredded chicken, herbs and juice to soup. Cook on high with lid on for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut jam dropsToday 12:49am
- Corn and quinoa chowderYesterday 10:28pm
- Mexican pulled porkYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 sensational slow-cooked pork mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Provencal beef stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free chickpea schnitzels and yoghurt sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 31 Treats To Wow At Your School Fete or Election Day Cake StandYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken saltimboccaYesterday 6:43am
- Healthy soup recipesYesterday 6:23am
- Slow-cooker honey mustard chickenYesterday 5:25am
- One-pot rice and chickenYesterday 4:29am
- Yoghurt wraps with pick-your-protein scrambleMay 16, 2022
- Quattro formaggio pizzaMay 16, 2022
- Chilli beans with tomato sauceMay 16, 2022