Italian bean stew
- 2 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 medium yellow capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped finely
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 gram dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 (125ml) boiling water
- 800 gram canned borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) vegetable stock
- 250 gram cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium zucchini (120g), chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, halved lengthways
- 8 slice ciabatta bread (400g)
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Italian bean stew
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrot, capsicum and herbs for about 7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- 2Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl; cover with the boiling water. Stand for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- 3Add beans, stock, tomato, zucchini, mushrooms and the soaking liquid to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat grill (broiler).
- 5Rub cut-side of garlic over bread slices. Place bread on an oven tray, drizzle with remaining oil; sprinkle with parmesan. Grill bread for 2 minutes or until golden.
- 6Divide stew between bowls, sprinkle with thyme; accompany with bread.
Dried porcini is a very rich flavoured mushroom with a strong nutty, earthy flavour. It must be rehydrated before use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021