- 700 gram beef mince
- 1 egg
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 slices swiss or colby cheese
- 1 small brown onion, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- olive oil spray
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 12 lettuce leaves
- store-bought frozen chips
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large beetroots, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- sea salt
- black pepper
Inside-out cheese burgers with beetroot compote
- 1Make compote; heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Place beetroot, garlic, sugar, vinegar, water and pinch of salt in saucepan. Cover and cook for 12 minutes until softened, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and season. Cool slightly to eat compote warm, or cool completely and refrigerate to eat cold.
- 2Meanwhile, combine mince, egg, salt and pepper in mixing bowl. Divide into 8 balls and flatten to make patties.
- 3Fold cheese slices into quarters and place in centre of patty. Top with another patty, pressing edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining burgers and cheese. Heat barbecue or chargrill pan over high heat.
- 4Spray burgers can onion slices with olive oil spray. Cook burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until cooked through and cheese is melted. Cook onion slices for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until just tender.
- 5To assemble, place 3 lettuce leaves on base of each roll or bun. Top with patty, onion, beetroot compote and bread lid. Serve with chips, if desired.
Equipment peeler; grater; sharp knife; medium saucepan; metal spoon; large mixing bowl; spatula; barbecue or chargrill pan; tongs
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019