- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 teaspoon sambal oelek, plus extra, to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 400 gram can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), plus extra, to serve
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 100 gram green beans, trimmed
- chopped parsley, to serve
- 1Combine spices on a plate. Coat chicken drumsticks well in mixture.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Fry chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning, until browned all over.
- 3Add cabbage, sambal oelek and garlic to pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until cabbage wilts.
- 4Pour stock, tomatoes and coconut milk into pan with kecap manis. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add rice to soup with beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender Season to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with extra sambal oelek and kecap manis.
When preparing cabbage, make sure you remove all the hard core and thick veins. Sambal oelek is a Malaysian/Indonesian chilli sauce and kecap manis is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce. You'll find both in the Asian section of the supermarket or at Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021