- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 teaspoon sambal oelek, plus extra, to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 400 gram can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), plus extra, to serve
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 100 gram green beans, trimmed
- chopped parsley, to serve
- 1Combine spices on a plate. Coat chicken drumsticks well in mixture.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Fry chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning, until browned all over.
- 3Add cabbage, sambal oelek and garlic to pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until cabbage wilts.
- 4Pour stock, tomatoes and coconut milk into pan with kecap manis. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add rice to soup with beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender Season to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with extra sambal oelek and kecap manis.
When preparing cabbage, make sure you remove all the hard core and thick veins. Sambal oelek is a Malaysian/Indonesian chilli sauce and kecap manis is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce. You'll find both in the Asian section of the supermarket or at Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Perfect potato saladToday 1:26am
- Four ways with stuffingToday 12:00am
- 25 terrific tray bakesYesterday 10:52pm
- Baked beef sausages with rosemary and tomatoYesterday 10:00pm
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 9:00pm
- Traditional GozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut and pineapple sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- The ultimate lamb shanks recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Vegetarian sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mince and rice stuffed capsicumsYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieYesterday 6:13am
- 31 terrific tofu recipesYesterday 1:28am