- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup 440g (14oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup (240g) mashed banana (see tips)
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 3⁄4 cup (180ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
Cream cheese frosting
- 60 grams butter, softened
- 125 grams cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups (480g) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease three 8cm x 16cm loaf cake pans; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 2Sift flours, soda, spices and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in desiccated coconut, pineapple, mashed banana, egg and oil until combined. Divide mixture evenly among loaf pans; place on an oven tray.
- 3Bake cakes for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pans.
- 4Meanwhile, make cream cheese frosting. Beat butter, cream cheese and vanillain a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beatin sifted icing sugar.
- 5Spread cakes with frosting and top with shredded coconut.
You will need two large (460g) overripe bananas for this recipe. Rectangular foil storage containers (8cm x 16cm, base measurement 2-cup capacity) are recommended to bake these cakes. Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022