- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60ml) (water)
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Stir sugar, maple syrup and the water in a medium heavy-based saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium; boil, without stirring, for 8 minutes or until syrup is a dark golden honey colour (or until it reaches hard crack stage 160°C/325°F on a sugar thermometer).
- 3Remove pan from heat; immediately stir in sifted soda – the syrup will froth. As soon as the last of the soda dissolves, carefully and quickly pour honeycomb onto tray; don't spread the mixture or it will deflate. Sprinkle with salt; cool to room temperature.
- 4Break cooled honeycomb into chunks.
Honeycomb chunks are delicious as a sweet treat in their own right, especially when dipped in or drizzled with dark chocolate. They also make a striking decoration for all sorts of celebration cakes, bring a burst of sweetness and an irresistible texture.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salsa verdeYesterday 2:00pm
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022
- Roast pork with apple sauceAug 04, 2022
- Lamb and lentil saladAug 04, 2022
- Chicken koftas with fig and seed pilafAug 04, 2022
- Chicken, mushroom and leek fricasseeAug 04, 2022
- Mexican riceAug 03, 2022
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsAug 03, 2022
- Herb-crumbed baked beansAug 03, 2022
- 34 delicious desserts with an easy biscuit crustAug 03, 2022
- 51 really good rhubarb recipesAug 03, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 03, 2022
- 50 lemon dessert recipesAug 03, 2022