Chicken casserole is a great way to create an easy weeknight meal. With contrasting flavours of sweet honey and bitey mustard, you can't go past this winter favourite.
For more of our best chicken-based casseroles, stews and tagines that will bubble away over a low heat for an easy dinner with plenty of flavour check out our collection of chicken casseroles to warm you up at night.
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (70g) wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets (1.6kg)
- 1 leek (350g), trimmed, sliced thickly
- 2 stalks celery (300g), trimmed, sliced thickly
- 400 gram baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pouring cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Place cornflour and mustard powder in a (18-cup) slow cooker. Gradually whisk in wine and stock until smooth. Add mustard and honey; whisk until smooth.
- 2Remove and discard fat and skin from chicken. Place chicken, leek, celery and carrots in cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 6 hours.
- 3Add peas to cooker; cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in cream; season to taste. Sprinkle chicken with parsley to serve.
We used a chardonnay-style wine in this recipe. Chicken thigh cutlets usually come with the skin and centre bone intact, although sometimes they can be found without the skin. Poultry shops and most major supermarkets will sell them.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021