- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 650 gram chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1/3 cup clear honey
- 2 tablespoon plum sauce
- 300 gram broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cup cooked jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
- 1 fresh long red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1Sift flour and pepper into a large bowl. Stir in salt. Using a fork, beat 1 cup water and egg in a jug until well combined. Pour into flour, stirring to form a smooth batter.
- 2Place cornflour in a shallow dish. Coat chicken in cornflour, shaking off excess. Half-fill a saucepan with oil. Heat over moderately high heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil).
- 3Coat chicken in batter. Deep-fry chicken, in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden, cooked and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reheat oil between batches if necessary.
- 4Place honey and plum sauce in a large frying pan. Cook and stir over low heat until hot. Add broccoli; toss for 2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender. Remove from heat. Add chicken and carrot; stir until just combined.
- 5Spoon rice into bowls. Top with chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chilli. Serve at once.
To prevent fried chicken becoming soggy, arrange on plate then drizzle with sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsYesterday 5:00pm
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Lamington popsMar 06, 2019
- Can you eat meat on Ash Wednesday?Mar 05, 2019
- Whole cauliflower with creme fraiche dressingMar 04, 2019
- Subscribe to Women's Weekly FOODMar 02, 2019
- Tomato cheesecakes with green olivesFeb 28, 2019
- Prawn and vegetable japanese hash brownsFeb 28, 2019