Heavenly carrot cake
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 1/4 cup (500g) raw sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 1/2 cup (500g) walnuts, toasted, chopped coarsely
- 6 medium (720g) carrots, grated coarsely
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 gram cream cheese, softened
- 50 gram butter, softened
- 250 gram pure icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, approximately
Heavenly carrot cake
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease two 11cm x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pans and line the base and two long sides of each with baking paper.
- 2Combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the walnuts for decoration. Add the remaining walnuts and the grated carrot to the egg mixture. Add the combined sifted flour, soda, mixed spice and salt to egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- 3Divide the mixture between the prepared loaf pans and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand in pans for 5 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool.
- 4For icing, beat cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer or food processor until smooth. Add the icing sugar and process until smooth. Add enough lemon juice to make a smooth, speadable consistency.
- 5Spread icing over cold cakes and decorate with reserved walnuts.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. This recipe is easy to halve to make 1 loaf. Don't grated the carrot too finely as it will be too juicy, making the mixture too wet and the finished loaf heavy.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021