Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- 2 cups (300g) white spelt flour
- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup (60g) ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 large very ripe bananas (460g)
- ½ cup (125ml) soy milk
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 200 grams silken tofu
- ½ cup (125ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) sparkling apple juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, extra
- ½ cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line a 12cm x 24cm loaf pan.
- 2Sift flours, ground almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- 3Blend or process one banana, milk, oil, tofu, syrup and extract until smooth.
- 4Finely chop remaining banana.
- 5Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix well, then gently stir in the finely chopped banana and apple juice. Pour mixture into pan.
- 6Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (cover with foil if the bread is over-browning during cooking).
- 7Stand in pan for 5 minutes; turn bread, top-side up, onto a wire rack. Brush with extra syrup; sprinkle with nuts.
The banana bread can be served warm or cold. Leftover banana bread can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021