- 45 gram dried long red chillies
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 100 gram roasted red capsicum, coarsely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra, to serve
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Trim and discard chilli stems; place chillies in small heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water; stand 1 hour. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, dry-fry cumin and coriander seeds in small frying pan until fragrant. Cool. Use mortar and pestle to coarsely crush seeds.
- 3Process chillies until finely chopped. Add crushed seeds, capsicum, garlic, salt, oil and the water; process until mixture forms a thick paste
- 4Spoon harissa into small sterilised jars (see tip); drizzle extra oil over surface and secure lids. Refrigerate.
To sterilise jars, wash jars and lids in warm soapy water; rinse well. Place jars in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil; boil 10 minutes. Carefully drain water from jars; transfer jars and lids to a baking tray lined with a clean tea towel. Cover with a sheet of foil and place in a slow oven until dry. Use straight from the oven. Large, dried chillies are available from Asian food stores. Harissa is extremely hot. Serve in small amounts with meat, poultry and couscous. Harissa will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chinese omelettesYesterday 1:00pm
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Traditional shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon and sugar pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020