- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium carrots (360g), grated coarsely
- ¾ cup (180ml) light olive or vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100 grams (3 ounces) vanilla sesame halva, crumbled
- ¼ cup (25g) walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F. Grease a 22cm (9-inch) springform pan; line base and side with three layers of baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over the side.
- 2Sift flours, soda and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in carrot. Whisk oil, eggs, sugar, honey and vanilla in a medium jug or bowl until combined. Add to flour mixture; mix until just combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 3Combine halva, walnuts, pistachios and seeds in a medium bowl. Sprinkle evenly over cake mixture.
- 4Bake cake for 1 hour 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean; cover cake loosely with foil if it starts to over-brown. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before transferring, top-side up, to a wire rack to cool.
Tip The halva will melt in the oven, then firm up again on cooling to set the nuts and seeds into a delicious caramelised topping. Halva is available from some delicatessens and Middle Eastern food stores.Serving suggestion Serve with thick vanilla bean yoghurt, dusted with sifted icing sugar, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apricot bliss ballsDec 07, 2021
- Cute canapes to start your dinner partyDec 07, 2021
- Perfect Christmas finger food recipesDec 07, 2021
- 31 tasty ways to use your leftover Christmas hamDec 07, 2021
- Chicken and lemon risottoDec 07, 2021
- Rice-cooker bibimbapDec 07, 2021
- 10 recipes to make your Christmas stress-freeDec 06, 2021
- Our best shepherd's pieDec 06, 2021
- Nougat semifreddo in white chcocolate conesDec 06, 2021
- Yum-yum dan dan noodlesDec 06, 2021
- Stained glass biscottiDec 06, 2021
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsDec 06, 2021
- 19 turkey recipes for the festive seasonDec 06, 2021