- 500 gram beef mince
- 1/2 cup (35g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1 small (70g) carrot, grated finely
- 1/4 cup (20g) grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely, extra
- 700 millilitre jar tomato passata (tomato cooking sauce or tomato purée)
- 1 cup (250ml) beef or chicken stock
- 200 gram tub cherry bocconcini, drained, sliced
- 1/3 cup (50g) sliced black olives
- 1Combine mince, breadcrumbs, carrot, parmesan, paste, egg, garlic and oregano in a large bowl; season well with salt and pepper. Using damp hands, roll level tablespoons of mince mixture into balls.
- 2Heat half the oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs, in two batches, for 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- 3Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and extra garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft but not coloured. Add the passata and stock.
- 4Return the meatballs to the sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meatballs are just cooked through and sauce is thickened. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Preheat the grill; place rack on middle shelf of the oven, not too close to the grill. Transfer meatballs and sauce to a shallow ovenproof dish for serving. Place a slice of bocconcini on top of each meatball. Grill the meatballs until bocconcini is beginning to melt.
- 6Top each meatball with an olive slice.
To freeze, place raw meatballs on a tray; freeze until firm. Transfer to a snap-lock bag or container; freeze. Recipe can be made several hours ahead to the end of Step 4. Reheat meatballs in sauce before continuing with Step 5.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Best burger recipesToday 4:33am
- Butter chickenYesterday 4:00pm
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiYesterday 1:00pm
- Vanilla sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Pho boYesterday 1:00am
- Pickled baby beetrootOct 13, 2019
- Vietnamese meatball and lettuce wrapOct 13, 2019
- Strawberry jelly sliceOct 13, 2019
- Beef stroganoffOct 13, 2019
- Melting momentsOct 10, 2019
- Lamb souvlakiOct 10, 2019
- Pumpkin pieOct 09, 2019
- Mushroom and goat’s cheese ravioliOct 09, 2019
- Ravioli recipesOct 09, 2019