- 1/2 cup (80g) burghul
- 250 gram mixed cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 cup each fresh flat-leaf parsley and mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 gram haloumi cheese
- 4 greek pitta bread, lightly toasted
- 1Make tomato herb salad: place burghul in a small bowl; pour enough boiling water to cover. Stand burghul about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain burghul in a sieve, pressing out as much water as possible; place in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, parsley and mint; stir through combined juice and oil. Season to taste.
- 2Make garlic sauce: combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3Cut cheese into 1cm slices. Cook cheese on a heated oiled flat plate until browned both sides.
- 4Divide cheese evenly among bread, top with salad and drizzle with garlic sauce; fold bread to enclose, serve immediately.
Tomato and herb salad and garlic sauce can be made a day ahead; cover, store in the fridge. Burghul is made from whole wheat kernels that are steamed, dried and toasted before cracking into several distinct sizes, so they develop a rich, nutty flavour. Because it is already partially cooked, burghul only requires minimal cooking. Cracked wheat, on the other hand, is raw whole wheat.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019