- 60 gram pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, large, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, halved and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2cm cubes
- 1/4 cauliflower, cut into florettes
- 375 gram potatoes, such as desiree, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes.
- 2 400g cans chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 1 cup 1/2cm cubes silverbeet stems, plus 2 cups sliced silverbeet leaves (about 6-8 large leaves plus stems)
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 cup (2 litre) water
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, flattened with a knife
- 1/4 cup (25g) grated parmesan
- 2 cup mixed parsley and basil leaves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Combine pancetta, garlic and parsley in a small processor and pulse until finely chopped. Place oil and pancetta mixture in a frypan, add onion and saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2Add remaining ingredients except silverbeet leaves and season with salt. Mix well, then bring to a boil and simmer over moderately low heat for 30 minutes. Add silverbeet leaves and simmer a further 5 minutes. Check seasoning.
- 3Meanwhile, to make pesto, toast almonds lightly in a small frypan over moderate heat, shaking pan frequently, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- 4Allow to cool, then place almonds, garlic and parmesan in a processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add basil and pulse until minced. With machine running, add oil in a steady stream and process until smooth. Add lemon juice and season with salt.
- 5Serve soup in deep, heated bowls with pesto on the side.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019