- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x200g chicken breast fillets
- 200 g brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g green kale, stems discarded, shredded finely
- 1 medium avocado (250g), cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup firmly packed basil leaves
- ½ cup (50g) finely chopped green kale leaves
- ¼ cup (40g) roasted almonds
- ¼ cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder (see tip)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Place stock, peppercorns and bay leaf in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken; if chicken is not covered by stock, add enough water to submerge. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to low, cook for 4 minutes. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand for 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place brussels sprouts on tray, drizzle with half the oil; toss to coat. Turn sprouts cut-side up; season. Roast for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- 4Make superfood pesto.
- 5Place kale and remaining oil in a large bowl; season with sea salt. Using your hands, rub oil and salt into kale until kale softens.
- 6Remove chicken from poaching liquid; shred coarsely.
- 7Divide kale, brussels sprouts, chicken, avocado, almonds and pesto among bowls. Season to taste.
- 8Blend or process ingredients, except spirulina, until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir through spirulina. Season to taste.
Spirulina is available from supermarkets and health food stores. Leftover pesto can be covered with a thin layer of oil in a small airtight container, then refrigerated for up to 4 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm