Greekwalnutandspicecake with red wine pears
- 4 small_piece (720g) firm corella pears
- 3 cup (660g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 cup (750ml) red wine
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 300 gram walnuts, roasted lightly
- 1 cup (70g) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 125 gram butter, melted
Greek walnuta and spice cake with red wine pears
- 1Peel pears, keeping stalks attached, cut in half. Place sugar, wine, whole star anise and cinnamon sticks in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes. Add pears and cover with a round of baking paper and a small heatproof plate to keep pears submerged. Simmer for 15 minutes or until just tender. Cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 22cm (9-inch) springform pan and line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Pulse nuts in a food processor until finely chopped. Place nuts in a large bowl with breadcrumbs, baking powder and ground spices, stir until combined.
- 4Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add nut mixture and mix well. Fold in butter. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into cake mixture in two batches. Pour mixture into pan.
- 5Bake cake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 6Place 2 cups of pear poaching liquid in a small saucepan and simmer, over medium heat, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- 7Place cake on a cake stand or plate, top with pears and syrup.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021