- 4 x 150g pork sirloin steaks
- 1 medium (140g) lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried rigani or dried oregano (see Test Kitchen tips)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 small (50g) red onion, sliced finely
- 1 (130g) Lebanese cucumber
- 1/3 cup (100g) whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (70g) Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Pound pork using a meat mallet. Finely grate the rind from the lemon; squeeze juice. Combine pork, rind, half the juice, rigani, paprika, oil, salt and garlic in a medium bowl; toss well. Cover, refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, halve cucumber lengthways; remove seeds. Grate cucumber coarsely; squeeze out excess liquid. Combine cucumber, mayonnaise, yogurt, mint, garlic and reserved lemon juice in a small bowl; mix well. Season to taste.
- 3Cook pork on heated barbecue or grill pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes each side or until browned and tender. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Heat buns on barbecue or grill pan for about 30 seconds each side or until just warmed.
- 4To assemble burgers, place lettuce on the bottom half of each bun, top with pork, Tzatziki Mayonnaise and onion. Sprinkle with black pepper and fresh oregano or mint, if desired.
Rigani is dried Greek oregano with a distinct flavour, available from some delis. If unavailable, you can use dried oregano or ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano. Serve sandwiches with oven-roasted chips, sprinkled with crumbled fetta, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019