Eggplant roasted with a flavour-packed breadcrumb filling with olives, fetta and capsicum and tasty yoghurt dressing creates a delicious low-carb meal.
Greek baked eggplant
- 4 small (920g) eggplants, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium (170g) red onion , chopped finely
- 2 (150g) stalk celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves finely chopped
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper) (350g), chopped finely
- 2 medium (150g) roma (egg) tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 100 gram fetta, crumbled
- 2/3 cup (100g) pitted black olives, chopped finely
- 3/4 cup (55g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup (60g) parmesan, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 lebanese cucumber (130g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (280g) greek-style yoghurt
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, extra
Greek baked eggplant
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a small knife, cut a 1cm (½-inch) border inside each eggplant half, scoop out the flesh without breaking the skin. Reserve flesh for another use. Place eggplant shells, cut-side-up on oven trays, cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, celery, garlic and oregano, stirring, 3 minutes or until soft. Add capsicum, cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in tomato, rind and juice, remove from heat. Stir in fetta and olives, season to taste.
- 4Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley in a small bowl, season to taste.
- 5Reduce oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 6Meanwhile, combine cucumber and yoghurt in a small bowl; season to taste.
- 7Spoon capsicum mixture into eggplant halves;,op with breadcrumb mixture. Bake 25 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Drizzle with remaining oil before serving.
- 8Serve eggplant drizzled with remaining oil and topped with yoghurt mixture, extra parsley and pepper.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021