Greek baked eggplant
- 2 large_piece (1kg) eggplants, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium_piece (85g) red onion , chopped finely
- 1 (150g) stick celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves finely chopped
- 1 large_piece red capsicum (bell pepper) (350g), chopped finely
- 2 medium_piece (150g) roma (egg) tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 100 gram fetta, crumbled
- 2/3 cup (100g) pitted black olives, chopped finely
- 3/4 cup (55g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup (60g) parmesan, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Greek baked eggplant
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a small knife, cut a 1cm (½-inch) border inside each eggplant half, scoop out the flesh without breaking the skin. Reserve flesh for another use. Place eggplant shells, cut-side-up on oven trays, cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, celery, garlic and oregano, stirring, 3 minutes or until soft. Add capsicum, cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in tomato, rind and juice, remove from heat. Stir in fetta and olives, season to taste.
- 4Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley in a small bowl, season to taste.
- 5Reduce oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 6Spoon capsicum mixture into eggplant halves;,op with breadcrumb mixture. Bake 25 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Drizzle with remaining oil before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeToday 6:38am
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019
- Christmas in July recipesJul 13, 2019
- Classic sconesJul 12, 2019
- RatatouilleJul 11, 2019
- 12 tantalising tiramisu recipesJul 11, 2019
- Rabbit stifadoJul 11, 2019
- Rhubarb crumbleJul 10, 2019
- Leftover stroganoff baguetteJul 10, 2019
- Mulled wineJul 09, 2019
- Avocado toast with fennel sauerkrautJul 08, 2019
- Chilli con carneJul 03, 2019
- Apple pieJul 03, 2019