- 2 1/4 cup 360g) sultanas
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (80g) dried currants
- 1 1/2 cup (210g) seeded dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 185 gram dairy-free spread
- 1 cup (125g) soya flour
- 1 cup (180g) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 1Combine fruit, the water, juice, honey, sugar and spread in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until spread melts. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl, cool.
- 2Grease a 2.25-litre (9-cup) pudding steamer, line base with baking paper.
- 3Stir sifted dry ingredients into fruit mixture.
- 4Spoon mixture into steamer, level top, cover with pleated baking paper and foil to allow the pudding to expand during steaming, secure with a lid or kitchen string.
- 5Place steamer in a large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer; cover pan with a tight fitting lid. Simmer, covered, about 6 hours, replenishing pan with boiling water as necessary to maintain water level.
- 6Stand pudding for 10 minutes before turning out.
Both soya and rice flour can be found in the superm arket or health food shops. To store pudding, wrap in plastic wrap and seal tightly in a freezer bag or airtight container, store in the fridge or freezer.Aim to chop all of the dried fruit so that it is similar in size to one another. Snip the raisins into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors, if you like. Snip the dates also, or chop with an oiled chef's knife to prevent them sticking to the blade.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Caramel éclairsToday 6:12am
- How to poach the perfect eggToday 4:00am
- Chickpea shakshukaToday 12:43am
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken schnitzelYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 brilliant baked cheesecakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Warm up with these hot breakfastsYesterday 2:00pm
- Apple cinnamon scrollsYesterday 2:00pm
- 28 delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai red curry fishYesterday 2:00pm
- Nan's lemon chickenYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 12:42am
- Cottage pieApr 19, 2021
- Lemon tartApr 19, 2021
- Sweet pies perfect for dessertApr 19, 2021