These gluten free hot cross buns taste just as good as the original recipe (especially with butter)!
Looking for more hot cross buns?
Gluten-free hot cross buns
- 3 cup (405g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) potato flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (180ml) olive oil
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 1 cup (160g) sultanas
Flour paste (for crosses)
- 1/2 cup (65g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water, approximately
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
Gluten-free hot cross buns
- 1Grease a deep 23cm square cake pan.
- 2Combine sifted flour, spices, yeast, gum and sugar in a large bowl.
- 3Place egg whites, egg, oil and half the milk in a large bowl of an electric mixer; beat on medium speed for 3½ minutes. Add remaining milk and the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined and smooth. Fold through sultanas.
- 4Divide dough into 16 pieces. With wet hands, shape dough into balls. Place balls into pan; cover, stand in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C.
- 6Make flour paste for crosses: Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually blend in enough of the water to form a smooth paste. Place in a piping bag fitted with a small plain tube. Pipe crosses on buns.
- 7Bake buns for 20 minutes or until golden and the buns sound hollow when tapped. Transfer buns, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- 8Make glaze: Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over mediumheat, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine dissolve.
- 9Brush tops of hot buns with hot glaze. Serve buns warm.
Hot cross buns are best served warm on the day you make them. Buns can be reheated in the microwave on HIGH (100%) in 10-second bursts until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021