Gluten-free hot cross buns
- 3 cup (405g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) potato flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (180ml) olive oil
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 1 cup (160g) sultanas
Flour paste (for crosses)
- 1/2 cup (65g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water, approximately
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
Gluten-free hot cross buns
- 1Grease a deep 23cm square cake pan.
- 2Combine sifted flour, spices, yeast, gum and sugar in a large bowl.
- 3Place egg whites, egg, oil and half the milk in a large bowl of an electric mixer; beat on medium speed for 3½ minutes. Add remaining milk and the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined and smooth. Fold through sultanas.
- 4Divide dough into 16 pieces. With wet hands, shape dough into balls. Place balls into pan; cover, stand in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C.
- 6Make flour paste for crosses: Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually blend in enough of the water to form a smooth paste. Place in a piping bag fitted with a small plain tube. Pipe crosses on buns.
- 7Bake buns for 20 minutes or until golden and the buns sound hollow when tapped. Transfer buns, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- 8Make glaze: Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over mediumheat, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine dissolve.
- 9Brush tops of hot buns with hot glaze. Serve buns warm.
Hot cross buns are best served warm on the day you make them. Buns can be reheated in the microwave on HIGH (100%) in 10-second bursts until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm