Bake up a batch of these healthy gluten-free carrot, apple and ginger muffins to serve at breakfast, brunch, or snack time.
Coconut sugar comes from the sap of the blossoms of the coconut palm tree, and has a delicious caramel taste. It has the same amount of kilojoules as regular sugar but is marginally less processed. You could use regular brown sugar in this recipe instead.
- 5 cups (500g) hazelnut meal
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1½ cups (240g) coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large zucchinis (300g), grated coarsely
- 2 large carrots (360g), grated coarsely
- 2 large apples (400g), grated coarsely
- 1/3 cup (45g) skinless hazelnuts, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line two 6-hole (¾-cup/180ml) texas muffin pans with paper cases.
- 2Combine hazelnut meal, baking powder, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, oil, coconut sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients; mix until just combined.
- 3Place zucchini, carrot and apple in a clean tea towel; squeeze to remove excess liquid. Fold into hazelnut mixture. Divide mixture between pans; sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- 4Bake muffins for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
You can use almond meal and whole almonds instead of the hazelnut meal and skinless hazelnuts, respectively, and a firm pear instead of the apple.Muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022