Bake up a batch of these healthy gluten-free carrot, apple and ginger muffins to serve at breakfast, brunch, or snack time.
Coconut sugar comes from the sap of the blossoms of the coconut palm tree, and has a delicious caramel taste. It has the same amount of kilojoules as regular sugar but is marginally less processed. You could use regular brown sugar in this recipe instead.
Looking for more desserts with hidden vegetables?
- 5 cups (500g) hazelnut meal
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1½ cups (240g) coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large zucchinis (300g), grated coarsely
- 2 large carrots (360g), grated coarsely
- 2 large apples (400g), grated coarsely
- 1/3 cup (45g) skinless hazelnuts, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line two 6-hole (¾-cup/180ml) texas muffin pans with paper cases.
- 2Combine hazelnut meal, baking powder, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, oil, coconut sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients; mix until just combined.
- 3Place zucchini, carrot and apple in a clean tea towel; squeeze to remove excess liquid. Fold into hazelnut mixture. Divide mixture between pans; sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- 4Bake muffins for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
You can use almond meal and whole almonds instead of the hazelnut meal and skinless hazelnuts, respectively, and a firm pear instead of the apple.Muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Piri piri chickenDec 02, 2021
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesDec 02, 2021
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeDec 02, 2021
- Chocolate fig panforteDec 02, 2021
- Christmas candy cane sliceDec 02, 2021
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021