Gluten-free fruit cake
- 375 gram mixed dried fruit
- 125 gram dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 150 gram butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free icing sugar
- 250 gram packet gluten-free marzipan
- 4 pieces thin florist wire, snipped into thirds
Gluten-free fruit cake
- 1Combine fruit and brandy in a large bowl. Cover with plastic food wrap; stand overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 19x9cm (base measurement) loaf pan with 2 layers baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
- 3Using an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar in a small bowl until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one by one, until combined.
- 4Add butter mixture to fruit mixture; stir to combine. Stir in almond meal, sifted rice flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
- 5Spoon mixture into prepared pan: smooth surface. Bake for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cover pan tightly with foil. Cool overnight.
- 6On a workbench dusted with half the icing sugar, knead marzipan until smooth. Roll out to 4mm thick. Using star cutters, cut out 3 x 7cm stars, 3 x 4cm stars and 3 x 8cm stars. Thread stars onto wire. Set overnight.
- 7Dust cake with remaining icing sugar. Arrange stars on top of cake.
Marzipan is in the cake decorations aisle; check ingredients label for gluten.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021