This recipe comes from the Australian Women's Weekly new cookbook Gluten-Free Baking
Gluten-free banana bread
- 125 grams (4oz) butter, softened
- ²⁄³ cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (280g) mashed ripe banana
- 1½ cups (200g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (50g) milk powder
- ½ cup (125ml) milk or nut-milk
- ½ cup (60g) coarsely chopped walnuts, plus extra for decorating
- 1 medium banana (200g), halved lengthways
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease an 11cm x 30cm (4½in x 12in) loaf pan (top measurement); double line base and sides with baking paper, extending the papers 2cm (¾in) over the sides.
- 2Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in banana and combined sifted flour, baking powder, cinnamon and milk powder, alternately with the milk. Stir through chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into the pan; level the surface.
- 3Bake loaf for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Place banana halves on top of loaf, cut-side up, then sprinkle with extra walnuts and demerara sugar. Quickly return to oven and bake for a further 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 4Leave loaf in pan for 10 minutes, before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool. Serve sliced, warm or room temperature.
You will need about 2 ripe bananas to yield 1 cup mashed banana. Store bread in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020