- 200 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caste (superfine) sugar
- 3/4 cup (270g) treacle
- 2 eggs
- 3 cup (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 3 cup (480g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two 8-hole (½-cup/125ml) petite loaf pans.
- 2Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Pour in treacle; beat 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in sifted dry ingredients, then milk. Spoon mixture into pan holes.
- 3Bake loaves about 25 minutes. Leave loaves in pans for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make vanilla icing: sift icing sugar into a heatproof bowl; stir in butter, extract and milk to form a smooth paste. Place bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until icing is spreadable.
- 5Spread icing on loaves; stand until set.
You could make this recipe in muffin pans; line holes of two 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pans with paper cases. Spoon mixture into cases. Bake for about 20 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022