- 125 gram butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (180g) treacle
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the treacle and egg yolk.
- 2Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in the sifted dry ingredients. Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth. Divide the dough in half. Enclose in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease and line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 4Roll each dough half between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 13cm gingerbread man cutter, cut out 12 gingerbread folk, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Place shapes, about 2.5cm apart, on trays. Bake for about 10 minutes. Stand on trays for 10 minutes, before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, to make royal icing, beat egg white in a small bowl with an electric mixer until just broken up. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar until firm peaks form; stir in the juice. Keep icing covered with plastic wrap on the surface to prevent drying out.
- 6Spoon icing into a small piping bag fitted with a small plain tube (or a small plastic bag with one corner snipped off). Using the picture as a guide, decorate the gingerbread folk with piped royal icing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022