- 125 gram butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
- 3 cup (450g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract sparkling cachous royal icing
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cup (480g) pure icing sugar
- food colourings
Royal icing (1 quantity)
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) pure icing (confectioners') sugar approximately
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (60°C fan-forced), grease and line oven trays.
- 2Combine butter, sugar and golden syrup in small saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
- 3Sift flour, spices and soda into large bowl, add butter mixture, egg and extract, stir until combined.
- 4Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Roll dough between sheets of baking paper to 5mm thickness, refrigerate 10 minutes.
- 5Using round-heart-and star-shapped cutters, cut out shapes from dough, place on trays.
- 6Bake about 10 minutes or until browned. Cool on trays.
- 7Meanwhile, make royal icing. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until frothy, gradually beat in sifted icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Tint icing as desired. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth, or enclosed tightly in plastic piping bags, the icing will develop a crust once it's exposed to the air.
- 8Decorate biscuits by spreading or piping with royal icing, decorate with cachous.
To make a quick piping bag, snip off a corner of a small plastic bag.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019