Half the fun of making these adorable gingerbread people is decorating with coloured royal icing.
- 125 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon pink round sprinkles
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) pure icing sugar
- 4 drops lemon juice
- yellow and pink food colouring
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. In two batches, stir in sifted dry ingredients and syrup.
- 3On a lightly-floured surface, knead dough gently until smooth. Divide dough in half; roll each half between sheets of baking paper to 5mm thickness. Cut dough into 6 x 12cm girl shapes, 6 x 12cm boy shapes and 12 x 6cm flower shapes; place on trays 2.5cm apart. Bake about 10 minutes. Cool on trays.
- 4Meanwhile, make royal icing by beating egg white in small bowl with electric mixer; gradually beating in sifted icing sugar. When mixture reaches piping consistency, beat in juice. Divide icing between three bowls. Tint one bowl with yellow colouring and another with pink colouring; leave the remaining bowl plain.
- 5Using picture as a guide, pipe icing onto biscuits using the three different colours; sprinkle centres of flowers with pink sprinkles. Set at room temperature.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What to make with your preserved lemonYesterday 2:00pm
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeYesterday 5:39am
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022