- 365 gram ginger marmalade
- 1/3 cup grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) dry ginger ale
- 7 kilogram cooked leg of ham
- 2 tablespoon cloves
- 1Stir marmalade, ginger, syrup, sugar and ginger ale in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 2Meanwhile, place oven shelf in lowest position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 3Using a sharp knife, cut a zig-zag pattern through ham rind about 12cm from the shank end of leg. Remove rind from ham by sliding your hand between the rind and the fat layer. Discard rind. Score fat diagonally at 2cm intervals to form a diamond pattern. Stud centre of diamonds with cloves.
- 4Place ham on wire rack placed in large baking dish. Wrap shank in foil. Brush ham with half the marmalade mixture. Bake ham, basting with remaining marmalade mixture, about 1¼ hours or until glaze is browned lightly. Serve warm or cold.
If the ham doesn't fit into your oven, or if your oven is full, bake the ham in a covered barbecue, using indirect heat, and following the manufacturer's instructions. Store cold leftover ham in a calico ham bag or clean pillowcase. Ham bags can be purchased from kitchenware stores and major supermarkets If refrigerator space is a problem, remove meat from the bone and refrigerate, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 10 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019