- 365 gram ginger marmalade
- 1/3 cup grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) dry ginger ale
- 7 kilogram cooked leg of ham
- 2 tablespoon cloves
- 1Stir marmalade, ginger, syrup, sugar and ginger ale in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 2Meanwhile, place oven shelf in lowest position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 3Using a sharp knife, cut a zig-zag pattern through ham rind about 12cm from the shank end of leg. Remove rind from ham by sliding your hand between the rind and the fat layer. Discard rind. Score fat diagonally at 2cm intervals to form a diamond pattern. Stud centre of diamonds with cloves.
- 4Place ham on wire rack placed in large baking dish. Wrap shank in foil. Brush ham with half the marmalade mixture. Bake ham, basting with remaining marmalade mixture, about 1¼ hours or until glaze is browned lightly. Serve warm or cold.
If the ham doesn't fit into your oven, or if your oven is full, bake the ham in a covered barbecue, using indirect heat, and following the manufacturer's instructions. Store cold leftover ham in a calico ham bag or clean pillowcase. Ham bags can be purchased from kitchenware stores and major supermarkets If refrigerator space is a problem, remove meat from the bone and refrigerate, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 10 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021
- Mexican rice bowlMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cake with white chocolate ganacheMay 13, 2021
- Citrus hazelnut bread twistMay 13, 2021
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeMay 13, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- Beef pad see ewMay 13, 2021
- White chocolate and raspberry mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- 20 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 13, 2021
- Self-saucing pudding recipesMay 13, 2021