- 6 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 90 millilitre boiling water
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 300 millilitre thickened cream, whipped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon boiling water
- 10 gram butter, at room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line base of 2 x 20cm square cake pans with baking paper.
- 2In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs until fluffy. Add sugar. Beat 8-10 minutes, until thick and pale.
- 3Sift combined flours and salt twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Place into a large bowl. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold through egg mixture.
- 4Combine butter and boiling water in a small bowl. Add to mixture; quickly fold through. Pour mixture evenly into pans. Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Turn cakes out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
- 5To make icing: sift icing sugar mixture and cocoa into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth.
- 6Sandwich cooled cakes together with jam and cream. Place on a cooling rack over an oven tray. Pour icing over to cover top and sides completely, allowing excess to drip off onto tray. Sprinkle generously with coconut. Cut into squares to serve.
If preferred, use an unfilled sponge cake instead of making your own.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb goulashYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 chocolate recipes for those of us who can't get enoughYesterday 5:44am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeYesterday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesJul 24, 2021
- 34 delicious duck recipesJul 24, 2021
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsJul 24, 2021
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingJul 24, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021