- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
- 60 gram butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (80g) strawberry jam, warmed
- 500 gram strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Place eggs and sugar in large heatproof bowl over large saucepan of simmering water (do not allow water to touch base of bowl). Beat with electric mixer about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Remove bowl from pan; beat mixture until it returns to room temperature.
- 3Triple sift the flour. Sift half of the flour over egg mixture, carefully fold in flour; fold in remaining sifted flour. Quickly fold in cooled butter. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake sponge about 20 minutes. Turn sponge, top-side up, onto baking-paper-covered wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat cream and sifted icing sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- 6Split sponge in half; place one half, cut-side up, on serving plate. Spread with jam and cream; top with strawberries, then remaining sponge half. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar.
It is fine to use just one 300ml carton of cream for this recipe. This cake differs from other sponge cakes in that whole eggs are beaten over heat, then cooled. The melted butter adds to the sponge's keeping qualities.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rhubarb and raspberry crostataToday 1:56am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 6:00pm
- Coq au vinYesterday 5:00pm
- Savoury mince pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesYesterday 5:10am
- 18 beautiful baked salmon recipesJul 13, 2020
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceJul 13, 2020
- Traditional minestroneJul 13, 2020
- 19 homemade muesli bars and snack barsJul 13, 2020
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotJul 13, 2020
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesJul 13, 2020
- Fennel recipesJul 13, 2020
- Tuna mornayJul 13, 2020
- Homemade muesli barsJul 12, 2020