- 40 gram butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- 2Place two ungreased 12-hole gem irons in hot oven.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, gradually add egg, beat until combined. Stir in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches.
- 4Lightly grease hot gem irons, drop 1 level tablespoon of mixture into each hole.
- 5Bake about 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Serve scones hot with butter or jam and cream.
Recipe is best made just before serving. Old-fashioned cast gem irons are available from specialty cookware shops or second-hand shops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021