- 40 gram butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- 2Place two ungreased 12-hole gem irons in hot oven.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, gradually add egg, beat until combined. Stir in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches.
- 4Lightly grease hot gem irons, drop 1 level tablespoon of mixture into each hole.
- 5Bake about 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Serve scones hot with butter or jam and cream.
Recipe is best made just before serving. Old-fashioned cast gem irons are available from specialty cookware shops or second-hand shops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best Italian recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 29 American-style diner recipes for weekend entertainingYesterday 6:23am
- Cinnamon doughnutsYesterday 4:17am
- Chicken cacciatoreYesterday 3:00am
- Chilli jamYesterday 2:14am
- Garlic breadYesterday 1:00am
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allYesterday 12:51am
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeYesterday 12:39am
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJan 18, 2022
- Quinoa zucchini haloumi burgersJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate fudge browniesJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate hazelnut sliceJan 18, 2022
- BaklavaJan 18, 2022
- Baker's dozen homemade croissantsJan 18, 2022
- Cauliflower mac 'n' cheeseJan 18, 2022