- 1 kilogram uncooked medium king prawns (shrimp)
- 500 gram cleaned baby squid hoods
- 1/4 cup (60ml) peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander (cilantro) root and stem mixture
- 2 fresh small red thai (serrano) chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 170 gram asparagus, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 175 gram broccolini, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (80g) bean sprouts
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact.
- 2Cut squid down centre to open out; score inside in diagonal pattern then cut into thick strips.
- 3Heat half the oil in wok; cook seafood, in batches, until prawns change in colour. Remove from wok.
- 4Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry coriander mixture, chilli, pepper and garlic until fragrant. Add asparagus and broccolini; cook, stirring, until vegetables are almost tender. Return seafood to wok with sprouts; stir-fry until hot.
- 5Serve stir-fry sprinkled with green onion and chopped coriander, accompanied with lime wedges.
When you buy a bunch of coriander (cilantro) at your local greengrocer, it is one of the very few fresh herbs that come with its stems and roots intact. Wash the leaves, stems and roots well before chopping them, and also scrape the roots with a small flat knife to remove some of the outer fibrous skin. After removing the leaves, finely or coarsely chop the roots and stems to use in curry pastes or recipes like this one. Any root and stem mixture left over can be covered with peanut oil in a glass jar and stored in the refrigerator for up to two months. Recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021