- 1 1/2 cup (240g) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1/2 cup (75g) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cup (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 185 gram (6 ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 23cm x 32cm (9-inch x 13-inch) swiss roll pan.
- 2Make pastry. Sift flour and sugar into a medium bowl, rub in butter. Stir in egg yolks and enough of the water to make a firm dough. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Divide dough in half, enclose each in plastic wrap, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Combine fruit, water and sherry in a small saucepan, stir over low heat for about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and fruit is soft. Blend or process fruit mixture until smooth. Cool.
- 4Roll one portion of pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line base of pan, lift pastry into pan, trimming to fit. Spread fruit mixture over pastry. Roll remaining pastry until large enough to cover fruit, lift pastry over fruit mixture, trimming to fit. Press down firmly. Cut top layer of pastry into 24 rectangles, prick each rectangle all over with a fork. Brush pastry with egg, sprinkle with sugar.
- 5Bake slice about 30 minutes. Cool slice in pan before cutting into pieces.
This slice will keep in an airtight container for up to three days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020
- Quiche LorraineOct 21, 2020
- Chana dhal with chutney yoghurtOct 21, 2020
- How to cook lamb backstrapOct 21, 2020
- Lemonade sconesOct 21, 2020
- Classic steamed Christmas puddingOct 21, 2020
- FlorentinesOct 21, 2020
- Lobster mornayOct 21, 2020
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsOct 21, 2020