- 450 grams dried udon noodles
- 430 gram gai lan
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon chinese five-spice
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 200 grams enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fried Asian shallots
- 1Place noodles in a medium heatproof bowl with enough boiling water to cover, separate with a fork; drain.
- 2Separate gai lan stalks and leaves; chop coarsely, keeping the stalks and leaves separate.
- 3Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat; stir-fry garlic and half the chilli for 2 minutes or until softened. Add five-spice and gai lan stalks; stir-fry for 1 minute or until tender.
- 4Add sauces, sesame oil and noodles; stir-fry for 1 minute or until hot. Add gai lan leaves; cook for a further 1 minute. Toss through mushrooms.
- 5Serve stir-fry topped with shallots and remaining chilli.
While regular oyster sauce is made from oysters and their brine, vegetarian oyster sauce is made from mushrooms (most often oyster or shiitake mushrooms)Fried shallots are available from Asian food stores and some supermarkets; they keep for months, stored tightly sealed.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021