- 450 grams dried udon noodles
- 430 gram gai lan
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon chinese five-spice
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 200 grams enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fried Asian shallots
- 1Place noodles in a medium heatproof bowl with enough boiling water to cover, separate with a fork; drain.
- 2Separate gai lan stalks and leaves; chop coarsely, keeping the stalks and leaves separate.
- 3Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat; stir-fry garlic and half the chilli for 2 minutes or until softened. Add five-spice and gai lan stalks; stir-fry for 1 minute or until tender.
- 4Add sauces, sesame oil and noodles; stir-fry for 1 minute or until hot. Add gai lan leaves; cook for a further 1 minute. Toss through mushrooms.
- 5Serve stir-fry topped with shallots and remaining chilli.
While regular oyster sauce is made from oysters and their brine, vegetarian oyster sauce is made from mushrooms (most often oyster or shiitake mushrooms)Fried shallots are available from Asian food stores and some supermarkets; they keep for months, stored tightly sealed.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm