- ½ cup (125ml) verjuice
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 600 ml thickened cream
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 500 g strawberries, chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons vino cotto
- ¼ cup (60ml) verjuice
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ⅔ cup (100g) seedless raisins
- ⅔ cup (100g) dried apricots
- ¼ cup (50g) dried figs
- ⅔ cup (100g) sultanas
- ⅔ cup (100g) currants
- ⅓ cup (50g) mixed peel
- ¼ cup (60g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (80ml) brandy
- 1 tablespoon vino cotto
- 1Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan: cook over medium heat then simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes or until fruit is soft and the syrup has thickened up and is glossy. Don't overcook the fruit or it will candy and go hard. Remove from the heat and spread onto a tray to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, line a medium-size pudding basin or bowl with a double layer of plastic wrap. Place the verjuice into a small saucepan; simmer over a medium heat for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 3Combine the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water and whisk until thick and creamy for approximately 5 minutes or until it's doubled in size. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 4Fold the cooled Fruit Mince into the egg mixture and the reduced verjuice.
- 5Beat the cream to medium-firm peaks then gradually fold through the fruit mixture. Pour into the prepared pudding basin and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- 6To serve, remove the semifreddo from the freezer; stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a platter.
- 7Meanwhile, combine the strawberries and vino cotto in a bowl; stand for 10 minutes. Serve the semifreddo with the strawberries.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Maggie's tip: Fruit mince can be made several weeks ahead. Semifreddo can be made up to 1 week ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021