- 2/3 cup (50g) flaked almonds, toasted lightly
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1/3 cup (20g) instant coffee
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coffee liqueur (kahlua)
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) thickened cream
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 250 gram mascarpone
- 14 thin (120g) sponge finger biscuits (savoiardi)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1Line a 9cm x 19cm loaf pan (base measurement) with two strips of baking paper to cover base and extend 5cm over all sides.
- 2To make the praline, lightly oil an oven tray. Scatter almonds over tray. Put sugar and the water in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Brush down the inside of the saucepan with a pastry brush dipped in water to dissolve all the sugar crystals. Bring to the boil, without stirring; boil, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until it turns a rich toffee colour. Quickly drizzle toffee over the almonds. Tilt the tray a few times to ensure it spreads evenly. Cool.
- 3Put the coffee into a large shallow bowl and add the boiling water. Stir to dissolve then stir in the liqueur.
- 4Break up the praline into pieces and place half in a food processor. Process to chunky crumbs.
- 5To make the ice-cream, beat the cream and icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in the mascarpone and praline crumbs then fold in ¼ cup (60ml) of the coffee mixture until just combined.
- 6Dip one of the sponge finger biscuits into the remaining coffee mixture and then place into the base of the loaf pan. Repeat with another five biscuits, trimming to fit.
- 7Spread ice-cream mixture over the biscuits; smooth top. Dip the remaining biscuits into the coffee mixture and place on top of the ice-cream. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- 8To serve, invert the loaf pan onto a chilled plate. Dust with sifted cocoa then top with the reserved praline pieces.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut jam dropsToday 12:49am
- Corn and quinoa chowderYesterday 10:28pm
- Mexican pulled porkYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 sensational slow-cooked pork mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Provencal beef stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free chickpea schnitzels and yoghurt sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 31 Treats To Wow At Your School Fete or Election Day Cake StandYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken saltimboccaYesterday 6:43am
- Healthy soup recipesYesterday 6:23am
- Slow-cooker honey mustard chickenYesterday 5:25am
- One-pot rice and chickenYesterday 4:29am
- Yoghurt wraps with pick-your-protein scrambleMay 16, 2022
- Quattro formaggio pizzaMay 16, 2022
- Chilli beans with tomato sauceMay 16, 2022