- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 2 medium (480g) oranges
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) cherries
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 x 2.5cm (1-inch) thick slices wholegrain bread (300g)
- 1/3 cup (95g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1Make poached cherries. Split vanilla bean lengthways, scrape out seeds. Reserve seeds for french toast. Thinly peel a strip of rind from one orange. Squeeze juice from oranges; you will need ½ cup juice. Combine vanilla bean, rind, juice, the water and syrup in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add cherries, simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stand cherries in syrup for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 120°C (100°C fan forced). Place a large wire rack over an oven tray.
- 3Lightly whisk eggs and reserved vanilla seeds (from poached cherries) in a medium bowl until combined; whisk in milk.
- 4Heat half the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until melted. Dip four bread slices, one at a time, into egg mixture, turning until soaked, drain away excess. Cook bread in pan for 2 minutes each side or until browned and firm to touch in the centre. Transfer to a wire rack, keep warm in oven.
- 5Repeat with remaining oil, bread and egg mixture.
- 6Serve toast with poached cherries and yoghurt.
You can use any type of milk you prefer almond, rice, soy, goat's and cow's milk are all suitable. If you don't have coconut oil use olive oil instead. Use a gluten-free bread for a coeliac-friendly version of this recipe. Make sure you use a more nutritious wholegrain bread than wholemeal, which is often high GI, or multigrain, which can simply be white bread disguised with a smattering of seeds and grains.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What's in season in MarchYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli and Tom Yum prawn fried riceYesterday 5:12am
- Monte carlo biscuitsYesterday 3:00am
- Linguine with garlic prawns & chorizoYesterday 2:00am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 1:02am
- Chewy chocolate sliceFeb 26, 2020
- Chelsea bunsFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon pattiesFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon niçoise tray bakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla custard pieFeb 26, 2020
- Molten chocolate lava cakesFeb 26, 2020
- Mediterranean fish pieFeb 26, 2020
- Melt-and-mix strawberry yoghurt cakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla panna cotta with berry compoteFeb 26, 2020
- White wine mussels with pearl couscousFeb 26, 2020