- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 2 medium (480g) oranges
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) cherries
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 x 2.5cm (1-inch) thick slices wholegrain bread (300g)
- 1/3 cup (95g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1Make poached cherries. Split vanilla bean lengthways, scrape out seeds. Reserve seeds for french toast. Thinly peel a strip of rind from one orange. Squeeze juice from oranges; you will need ½ cup juice. Combine vanilla bean, rind, juice, the water and syrup in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add cherries, simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stand cherries in syrup for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 120°C (100°C fan forced). Place a large wire rack over an oven tray.
- 3Lightly whisk eggs and reserved vanilla seeds (from poached cherries) in a medium bowl until combined; whisk in milk.
- 4Heat half the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until melted. Dip four bread slices, one at a time, into egg mixture, turning until soaked, drain away excess. Cook bread in pan for 2 minutes each side or until browned and firm to touch in the centre. Transfer to a wire rack, keep warm in oven.
- 5Repeat with remaining oil, bread and egg mixture.
- 6Serve toast with poached cherries and yoghurt.
You can use any type of milk you prefer almond, rice, soy, goat's and cow's milk are all suitable. If you don't have coconut oil use olive oil instead. Use a gluten-free bread for a coeliac-friendly version of this recipe. Make sure you use a more nutritious wholegrain bread than wholemeal, which is often high GI, or multigrain, which can simply be white bread disguised with a smattering of seeds and grains.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019