- 2 kilogram beef bones
- 1 large (180g) carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped coarsely
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 4 litre (16 cups) water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs parsley
French onion soup
- 80 gram butter
- 6 medium (900g) brown onions, sliced
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 1 1/2 litre (6 cups) homemade beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 6 slice french bread stick (baguette)
- 3/4 cup (90g) finely grated gruyere cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to hot (220°C). Place bones in a large baking dish and bake, uncovered for 20 minutes. Add vegetables and bake for another 40 minutes or until bones are well browned.
- 2Transfer bones and vegetables to a large pan, add water, bay leaf and parsley, bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, 4 hours.
- 3Strain stock through a fine sieve or muslin. Discard bones and vegetables. Refrigerate stock until cold. Skim solidified fat from the surface. Return stock to pan and boil, uncovered, until reduced to 1.5L (six cups).
French onion soup
- 4Melt butter in a pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, 30 minutes, or until golden brown and soft.
- 5Add wine and boil, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Grill bread slices until browned on both sides. Sprinkle cheese on one side of toast and grill until cheese is melted and browned. Serve soup topped with toast slices and extra pepper, if desired.
If preferred, you can replace the homemade beef stock with store-bought.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022