Beef in red wine
- 250 gram speck or pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, chopped
- 2 trimmed (200g) stalks celery, sliced
- 4 clove garlic, peeled, sliced
- 10 (250g) french shallots, peeled, halved
- 2 tablespoon duck fat (see tips)
- 2 kilogram stewing beef, trimmed, cut into 6cm pieces (see tips)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 strips orange rind
- 2 cup (500ml) red wine
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 2 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh curly parsley
Beef in red wine
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced).
- 2Heat a large cast iron casserole over medium heat. Cook the speck, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until fat has rendered and speck is golden brown. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- 3Meanwhile, heat duck fat in a large frying pan. Cook beef in batches until well browned all over, transferring beef to casserole as you go. When all beef is browned, add brandy to frying pan; bring to the boil, scraping dark pieces from base of pan. Pour liquid into casserole; stir to combine beef and vegetables.
- 4Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, rind, wine and stock. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, then wrap a sheet of foil around the lid area to ensure the dish is well sealed.
- 5Cook beef for 3 hours. Remove from oven. Add carrots; cover. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until beef and carrots are tender. Season; sprinkle with parsley.
- 6Serve beef with potatoes anna or mashed potato and steamed greens, if you prefer.
Duck fat is available from large supermarkets and delicatessens. You can use chuck, shin or gravy beef in this recipe. Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021